|4 workshop days at venue|
|OSCE Exam||At venue||At venue|
|Case study submission|
|Credits||20 level 6|
This six-month course is designed to meet the needs of a range of health care professionals working with patients who present to a point of first contact with a minor injury. It aims to provide students with comprehensive knowledge and skills to assess and manage patients who attend with a minor injury or refer as appropriate. Students will be registered health care professionals working in areas such as primary care, accident and emergency, first contact or minor injury units.
The content will address holistic assessment of the patient with a minor injury following a systematic process and working within the limits of the individual’s competence. On completion students will be able to assess, treat and manage (or refer appropriately) patients who present to a point of first contact with a minor injury.
Nurse, Pharmacist, Registered Healthcare Practitioners, Paramedic
Teesside University UCCE in Assessment and Management of Minor Injury 20 credits Level 6
- Anatomy, physiology and altered physiology relating to common minor injuries in both children and adults
- Principles and techniques of history taking and mechanism of injury
- Clinical examination techniques to include upper and lower limb, ophthalmic and wounds
- Decision making skills and clinical reasoning
- Clinical management of minor injuries to include common conditions e.g. sprains, fractures, wounds
- Recognition of when to x-ray or investigate further
- Multi-disciplinary team working and referral pathways
- Professional accountability in practice
All students will take a practical clinical examination to demonstrate their ability to assess and manage a patient who presents with a minor injury
Students on the university accredited module will also submit a 2000 word written case study.
For more details about how the assessment works for University accredited courses, please see our FAQs section here.
|Study Type||Blended learning|
|Start Date||No dates currently available|
Darren was very clear in the format of the day and the course and study needed between days. Explained content well.