6-8 Week Baby Check Session
Forthcoming 6-8 Week Baby Check Courses. Please choose your preferred start date from the drop down list to book your place online.
Do you work in the Yorkshire & Humber NHS?
If yes, full funding may be available on all of our courses except the Flu Update, and will be applied when you checkout.
9 Aug 2019
Bradford | Current
- 9 Aug 2019 Half Day Session (pm)
Course Delivery & Duration
Interactive three hour session.
GPs, and ANPs and Nurses working in Primary Care who hold a qualification in the Examination of the Newborn. It is also open to trainee GP’s who want to complete in their GP attachment.
This interactive session is for health care professionals who are already involved in the 6-8 week baby check. Using Public Health England Newborn and Infant Physical Examination standards (NIPE, 2018), the session will cover the importance of the 6-8 week baby check to include a comprehensive head to toe examination but focusing on the four key screening areas; eyes, heart, hips and testes. The knowledge and examination techniques presented are all with a primary care focus for identifying normal and abnormal examination findings. Guidance is included on how and when to refer abnormal findings. The session includes an opportunity to practice on model hips with pathology. It will be relaxed and informal, suitable for GPs, GP Registrars, and ANPs and Nurses working in Primary Care who hold a qualification in the Examination of the Newborn. It is also open to trainee GP’s who want to complete in their GP attachment.
- Understand the basics of the 6-8 week baby check
- Understand the importance of the four key screening areas
- Understand the NHS Newborn and Infant Physical Examination (NIPE) techniques
- Identify normal and abnormal findings
- Have an opportunity to practice hip examination techniques
- Perform a ‘Head to Toe’ run-through of the examination
- Know when and how to refer abnormal findings