6-8 Week Baby Check Session
There are unlikely to be any scheduled dates for this course until Autumn 2018 due to maternity, but please register your interest to be notified about future dates.
Register Interest in this 6-8 Week Baby Check course
Please fill in the following form to be notified when dates for this course are announced. Required fields are marked with *
Do you work in the Yorkshire & Humber NHS?
If yes, full funding may be available on all of our courses except the Flu Update, and will be applied when you checkout.
Course Delivery & Duration
Interactive half day session.
GP, Nurse, Registered Healthcare Practitioner, Assistant Nurse Practitioner
This interactive session is for health care professionals who are already involved or wishing to start carrying out the 6-8 week baby check. The session will cover the importance of the 6-8 week baby check and focuses on the four key screening areas; eyes, heart, hips and testes. The knowledge and examination techniques presented are all with a primary care focus for identifying normal and abnormal examination findings. Guidance is included on how and when to refer abnormal findings. The session includes an opportunity to practice on model hips with pathology. It will be relaxed and informal, suitable for GPs, ANPs and Nurses working in Primary Care.
- Understand the basics of the 6-8 week baby check
- Understand the importance of the four key screening areas
- Understand the NHS Newborn and Infant Physical Examination (NIPE) techniques
- Identify normal and abnormal findings
- Have an opportunity to practice hip examination techniques
- Perform a ‘Head to Toe’ run-through of the examination
- Know when and how to refer abnormal findings